Gosaikunda is a famous name for the purest holy lake. It is situated in Rasuwa district of Nepal covering a surface with about 13.8 ha (34 acres). It lies, north from Kathmandu between Helambu, Langtang Valley, and Langtang National Park. The measurement shows that it is 43 (kilometers) far from Kathmandu city. It stands steadily 4,380 meters high from the sea level. This is also well- known for the sacred lake in Nepalese society because of a historical belief that connects the lake to Lord Shiva, the god of power and destruction in Hindu mythology.
Altitude: 2000m (Dhunche)
Duration: 6 hrs drive
The first day of your journey starts with a long drive from Kathmandu to Dhunche. After a 6/7 hours drive, you will reach Dhunche. Dhunche is the starting point of your actual trek to Gosaikunda. Dhunche is the headquarters of Rasuwa district.
Make sure you have the proper documents. There are many checkpoints along the way. You need to show your permits.
Duration: 4/5 hours trek
From Dhunche, you will trek to Deurali. Here, you can rest, have something to eat. There is a good choice of restaurants and cafes to eat and drink at.
After the rest, you start your trek to Chandanwari. Chandanwari is also known as Singompa. Singompa is a famous monastery in the area. You can visit and pay respects at the monastery. It provides a glimpse into the local culture of Rasuwa district.
There are a lot of good tea houses and lodges to spend the night at. The area is also famous for its cheese factory. You can visit the factory if you reach early in Chandanwari.
Altitude: 4380m (Gosaikunda)
Duration: 5/7 hours trek
This is the day you reach your trekking destination ‘Gosaikunda’. After a beautiful night in Chandanwari, your trek starts with an accent till you reach Cholangiopathy. From here, you trek onwards to Lauribine.
This is the toughest section of the trek. With your beautiful destination in mind, your trek continues onwards to Gosaikunda.
You can explore the area and try to locate all the 108 lakes. Or, just relax and enjoy the magnificence of Gosaikunda lake. The magnificent mountains surround this lake on all sides and offer the best sunrises and sunsets.
Other famous lakes in and around Gosaikunda lake are Nagkunda, Bhairav Kunda, Suryakunda.
After a beautiful and relaxing night at Gosaikunda, you will trek back the way you came from. You can have lunch and a rest stop at Singompa. You can enjoy the view of the Pine and Rhododendron forests.
The descent is more difficult for some. Having a trekking pole can help improve your balance and provide support.
After a night at Dhunche, you will drive to Kathmandu by bus or jeep. Once in Kathmandu, you can choose to relax or explore the beautiful city of temples.
- An experienced and registered local trekking guide.
- An assistant guide if the number of participants exceeds more than 6 people.
- Trekking porters to carry your main pack
- All necessary trekking permits.
- Meals: 4 Breakfasts, 5 Lunches and 4 Dinners)
- Accommodation in tea houses (lodges) during the trek on twin sharing basis.
- All local land transportation to and from trekking.
- Necessary insurance for trekking staff.
- Salary, meals and lodging of your guide and porters
- All local tax and vat, company service charges.
- Accommodation, meals and transportation in Kathmandu.
- All bar bills and beverages during the trek.
- Nature of personal expenses
- Tips to guide and porters.
- All other expenses that are not included in itinerary